Wednesday, February 2, 2011

First Post!

I have a confession to make.  I honestly think that through time and the people I know, I have developed some crazy, sometimes uncontrollable shopaholic tendencies.  What does that mean?  Well, according to the Illinois Institute for Addiction Recovery, four or more of the following money habits indicates a problem with shopping or spending:
  • Shopping of spending money as a result of being disappointed, angry or scared. Yes, I go impulse shopping when I'm upset.
  • Shopping/spending habits causing emotional distress or chaos in one’s life. Yes, because I know I want to save, but just can't control myself.
  • Having arguments with others regarding shopping or spending habits.
  • Feeling lost without credit cards.
  • Buying items on credit that would not be bought with cash. Yes, because card is just that much easier, and it feels like you're spending less.
  • Spending money causes a rush of euphoria and anxiety at the same time. Yes, I want it but I dread the credit card debt at the end of the month.
  • Spending or shopping feels like a reckless or forbidden act. Yes because I have forbidden myself from it.
  • Feeling guilty, ashamed, embarrassed or confused after shopping or spending money. Many purchases are never used. Yes.  Some purchases were made at spur of the moment, and cannot be returned.  Others, I forget about or work inappropriate and cannot be worn.  Some, I have determined I no longer like the style (even though at the point of purchase, it's the best thing ever).
  • Lying to others about what was bought or how much money was spent. Yes.  I always lie about the prices to my parents, if they happen to find any new purchases.  Usually, I like to hide them in my room post-purchase so it's not found out til later.
  • Thinking excessively about money. Yes.  I am getting older and I really should do some future planning.
  • Spending a lot of time juggling accounts and bills to accommodate spending. Yes.  it has been getting to that point the past few months. Very disappointing.

Given the above, it is quite obvious I am quite the shopaholic.  However,the scariest part is that I don't think I can stop and this makes me sad.

Logically, do I know that I don't need these things? Yes.
Do I know that there are better things to save for (like a house)? Yes.
Can I stop myself? I'm not entirely sure.

In the end, I have to tell myself - think of the house and vacation!



I guess we'll see how well that goes!  Shopping bags make me feel excited -___-

No comments:

Post a Comment